Our Youth Cabinet program is available to high school students in select states and territories around the country:
If you are a high school student (grades 9-12) in one of these states or territories, you can apply to serve as a member of the Youth Cabinet for your state.
During your yearlong term as a member of your state’s Youth Cabinet, you’ll work with youth leaders from across your state to develop a youth policy agenda and advocate for legislation that advances your agenda:
- Participate in 3 virtual cabinet meetings throughout the year (fall, winter, and spring).
- Collaborate with cabinet members to develop a youth policy agenda for your state.
- Develop and implement an advocacy strategy that advances your policy agenda.
- Present your policy agenda to state officials and legislators.
Youth Cabinet applications are now open for students interested in applying to serve during the 2022-23 school year:
Youth Cabinet Application
To share this opportunity in your community, download our Youth Cabinet Flyer (PDF). If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Youth Cabinet Positions
Each Youth Cabinet is led by a Youth Governor, who leads the program throughout the year and presides over all cabinet meetings:
- You must be a rising senior to apply to serve as Youth Governor of your state, and serve during your senior year.
- If selected as Governor, you commit to attend the Youth Governors Conference in June in Washington, D.C. and representing your state as a member of the Youth Governors Association (YGA), which meets throughout the year to facilitate national collaborations and opportunities.
- Students selected as Youth Governors will have their airfare/travel to and from Washington, D.C. fully covered by the Y, and will only need to pay our $250 registration fee (covers all lodging, meals, and conference costs for the duration of the event).
In addition to Youth Governor, there are up to 10 additional Youth Cabinet positions (note: some states do not have all 10 positions) available to interested applicants:
- Lt. Governor (Except WY)
- Attorney General
- Secretary of State (Except UT & AK)
- Superintendent of Schools
- Agriculture Commissioner
- Insurance Commissioner
- Labor Commissioner
- Natural Resources Commissioner (Except WY)
- Public Service Commissioner